Monday, November 22, 2010

Cover art - "Deathless" by Catherynne M. Valente

The Russian fairy tales enriched my childhood and infused my dreams with wonderful stories. There were a couple of characters from those fairy tales who rather haunted my dreams than make them more pleasant, but strong characters nonetheless. Among them, Koschei the Deathless. Catherynne M. Valente will release in 2011 a new novel, “Deathless”, which from the information I found on the author's website it is a retelling of Koschei the Deathless and Marya Morevna fairy tales. Since I loved the Russian fairy tales and later on I found Koschei the Deathless to be a very interesting character, I am looking forward to the Catherynne M. Valente’s retelling of these stories. Until Tor Books releases “Deathless” on March 2011 we can take a look at the cover artwork, revealed on Tor.com by the excellent art director of Tor Books, Irene Gallo. The cover made by Beth White proves, not that such a demonstration is needed, that a black and white artwork works perfectly on a book cover as well. Looking over the artwork of “Deathless” I believe that it even beats many, more colorful, covers. Beth White’s cover makes me also even more curious about the Catherynne M. Valente’s novel and I would certainly pick a copy for reading when “Deathless” will be available.

2 comments:

Memory said...

I hadn't heard of this before, but it sounds good! I also like Russian fairy tales.

Mihai A. said...

It sounds really interesting. I am waiting to see what Catherynne M. Valente does with the Russian fairy tales :)