Monday, November 15, 2010

Cover art - "Miséricorde" (Havemercy) by Jaida Jones & Danielle Bennett

Lately, I return very often to the French cover artwork and how can I not since the work of the art departments of the French publishers is truly amazing. This time we have a cover from the publisher Eclipse, made for the French edition of Jaida Jones and Danielle Bennett’s debut novel, “Havemercy”. The cover artist is none other than Kekai Kotaki, one of the best fantasy artists of today, and who put his talent to excellent work once again. I didn’t read Jaida Jones and Danielle Bennett’s novel, but since I know that we do have some mechanical, magic-fueled dragons within “Havemercy”, I believe that Kekai Kotaki’s cover is truly appropriate for the book. “Miséricorde” (Havemercy) will be released by Eclipse in France this week, on November 19th.

7 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

That is great cover art. I like my book covers but I would be thrilled to have ths artist do my next book.

Kristen said...

Wow, I wish my copy of this book had this cover! It's gorgeous!

Unknown said...

I love that cover! You are right the French covers are mighty impressive. I have Pevel's Cardinal's Blade books with the French covers and I am impressed with them.

Volataire said...

That's probably the best cover art I've ever seen. Like others have said, I wish my books could get a cover like that.

Thank you for another great review. :D

Mihai A. said...

Susan, Kekai Kotaki is an amazing artist and he puts his talent to excellent use :)

Kristen, I wish that too :)

Tyson, the work on tge French covers are an example to follow in my opinion :)

Volataire, it is an excellent cover indeed :)

Malazan said...

@Mihai (Dark Wolf)

agreed, the french edition covers for books r truly miles ahead of the US/UK covers,i recently downloaded a ton of french covers of books simply because they look so good,the question is why dont the US/UK publishers use them? do they seriously think that we like those cheesy covers they put out,lol.

Mihai A. said...

I believe that the marketing departments have a heavy word in the look of covers. The French ones definitely look great and maybe they can be taken as a source of inspiration. Still, there will always be an aspect of marketing to be taken into account :)