Monday, July 11, 2011

Book trailer - "The Straight Razor Cure" by Daniel Polansky

One of the review copies that arrived in my mailbox recently is Daniel Polansky’s “The Straight Razor Cure”, received through the courtesy of Hodder & Stoughton, and it is the one that caught my attention almost instantly. Daniel Polansky’s debut novel, due to be released in the UK on 18th of August by Hodder & Stoughton under the title “The Straight Razor Cure” and in the US on 16th of August by Doubleday under the title “Low Town”, comes with some very interesting premises and sounds dark and gritty, characteristics that lately are on high demand in my preferences when it comes to fantasy novels. Dark and gritty is the book trailer too and quite interesting as well. Short, but pretty efficient, it stirred my interest and picked my curiosity further on, although I have to admit that a small part of acting within it looks a bit overly dramatic. Still, I believe that it achieves its purpose, together with the synopsis which with your permission I will quote again. I am really curious now how Daniel Polansky’s “The Straight Razor Cure” will prove to be.

Welcome to Low Town. Here, the criminal is king. The streets are filled with the screeching of fish hags, the cries of swindled merchants, the inviting murmurs of working girls. Here, people can disappear, and the lacklustre efforts of the guard ensure they are never found.
Warden is an ex-soldier who has seen the worst men have to offer; now a narcotics dealer with a rich, bloody past and a way of inviting danger. You`d struggle to find someone with a soul as dark and troubled as his.
But then a missing child, murdered and horribly mutilated, is discovered in an alley.
And then another.
With a mind as sharp as a blade and an old but powerful friend in the city, he`s the only man with a hope of finding the killer.
If the killer doesn`t find him first.

2 comments:

Maria said...

Hi Mihai--I know, long time since I've commented. Just wondered--do you feed your reviews to goodreads? If so, tell me who you are on GR so I can fan you and follow your reviews!

Maria (from the old boards now called boomtron, but used to be BSC and used to be fantasy something or other!)

Mihai A. said...

Hi, Maria! It is very nice to hear from you. I hope you are well :)
I used to have, but since the free time is quite short lately I don't have one anymore. But I plan to open one again in the near future. I hope to see you there soon :)