Thursday, March 11, 2010

Steven Erikson's "Malazan Book of the Fallen": Joining forces

I mentioned yesterday my unread section of the personal library and I come back today to that section. I have to say that although the titles from that particular section have to wait their reading time they escape the unread shelves eventually. One such title is the first novel in the Steven Erikson’s “Malazan Book of the Fallen” series, “Gardens of the Moon”. I know that for a long time Steven Erikson’s books awaited for me to open their covers, but that time has come. I am half-way through “Gardens of the Moon” and I absolutely love it. I even wonder how did I miss reading the series, especially since until I bought the Malazan books and now I had a few unpleasant reading experiences. It is a slow reading for the moment, with all the characters, places and aspects to take in, but I already find my way around them.

And speaking of the Malazan series, I was talking the other day with two of my online friends, Amanda, the lovely lady behind Floor to Ceiling Books, and Niall, the highlander who makes The Speculative Scotsman running, and we thought of joining our forces for a take on the Steven Erikson’s “Malazan Book of the Fallen” series. We are thinking of reading the entire series, as the time allows us, going through the novellas and Ian C. Esslemont’s novels as well, each with his own opinions and reviews but also joining forces in a series of discussions. We hope to have many other fans of the Malazan series, old and new, joining our party, especially since I know someone who pressed me hard to start the series :)

I hope that everyone will enjoy this feature or maybe it will offer an excuse to start reading Steven Erikson’s books or a re-reading. I know that I am enjoying “Gardens of the Moon” a lot for now and that this novel makes my previous experience with Ian C. Esslemont’s “Night of Knives” and the interview with Steven Erikson even more pleasant.

10 comments:

Harry Markov said...

I would love to be included in this fine adventure. I always wanted to start on these series. I have the first book, really. :)

Magemanda said...

I'm looking forward to this very much! I also have the first book sat on my shelves, so I will be clearing a couple of other books that *have* to be read under a deadline and then I shall be getting right to it!

Harry - you are so welcome I cannot express it! Just get a blog post up on Temple to let everyone know you're joining :-)

Valashain said...

This does of course not excuse you from being shamefully late starting this series in the first place ;)

Sounds like an interesting project I'm looking forward to seeing your opinions on the books.

Mihai A. said...

Harry, you are welcome on board. Start your novel too and we can start from there :)

Amanda, I have quite a few too, but I am more than happy to make this :)

Val, I know, I have no excuse. But I thank you for pushing me to start reading it. And I am looking forward to see your opinions too :)

Simcha said...

I had started this book a while back but I had a hard time getting into it. I've been meaning to give it another go, which I might do sometime soon. The Goodreads Fantasy group is going to be discussing it in May, so maybe I'll read it along with them.

Rogue Blades Entertainment said...

Ah Mihai (and others!) - you are in for the treat of a lifetime! I absolutely adore Steven Erikson's The Malazan Book of the Fallen - and don't forget the three novellas of absolutely stunning hilarity! :)

This is the number 1 best series of all time. Not only does the story get better and better, but so do many of the books...how rare is that, eh?

If you can handle a cast of thousands and a timeframe of 1000s of years, and you haven't read or started The Malazan Book of the Fallen yet - shame on you!!!

Mihai A. said...

Simcha, I enjoy it quite a lot for now. Maybe you can join our features too :)

Jason, you are just bragging now sir ;)
I see why you love this series so much. I am only half-way through the first novel and I feel I turn into a fan too :D

Harry Markov said...

Okay, then. All settled. I will do so.

ediFanoB said...

This year I wanted to read the whole series - One book per month. So far I'm 100 pages in Gardens of the Moon.

Even I don't have much time I would like to enter the "party"

On my shelf you will find um, well...

Malazan Book of the Fallen
1. Gardens of the Moon (1999)
2. Deadhouse Gates (2000)
3. Memories of Ice (2001)
4. House of Chains (2002)
5. Midnight Tides (2004)
6. The Bonehunters (2005)
7. Reaper's Gale (2007)
8. Toll the Hounds (2008)
9. Dust of Dreams (2009)

Malazan Empire
1. Night of Knives (2004)
2. Return of the Crimson Guard (2008)

You see not so many books left....
And to my shame all unread. But that will change from now on....

Mihai A. said...

Harry & Michael, welcome on board :)