Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Book trailer - "Gauntlgrym" by R.A. Salvatore


One of my all time favorite characters is the legendary Drizzt Do’Urden. I have fond memories of Drizzt Do’Urden, but I have to be completely honest and say that I have a drawback too. I enjoyed the early novels featuring the dark elf, but after a while it seemed that his story overstretched, pulling on things that were better left aside. Therefore at a point I didn’t feel as eager to start reading a new adventure of Drizzt Do’Urden as I was before. That point was the “Transitions” trilogy, because although I bought all the three novels of the series, “The Orc King”, “The Pirate King” and “The Ghost King”, I didn’t read any of them. Today, Wizards of the Coast releases a new R.A. Salvatore’s novel featuring his famous character, Drizzt Do’Urden. I still have the character in my heart, I will always have him, and the book trailer looks very good, but I am not exactly sure when I’ll be reading “Gauntlgrym”. I will definitely buy R.A. Salvatore’s “Gauntlgrym” because I am sure that one day it will come the turn of all these unread Drizzt Do’Urden novels to find their way on my reading table. Still, I am saddened to see that Drizzt becomes a bit too commercial for my liking.

3 comments:

Mimouille said...

I perfectly understand how you feel being a fan of Drizzt myself. To me the Dark Elf trilogy is one of the best epic fantasy books ever written (really). Most of the rest (apart from the Icewind Dale trilogy) is not as good, but I still read all there is, and I intend to read Transitions (I also want to finish the Sellswords as Artemis Entreri is awesome).

The reason is that Drizzt remains a guilty pleasure, it's not all that good anymore, but I love to see him again...

For some change, I would strongly advise the Malus Darkblade books, great alternative to Drizzt and an occasion to read Dan Abnett. Now that is a mean drow (druchii).

Mihai A. said...

A guilty pleasure indeed :)
I did enjoy "The Dark Elf" and "Icewind Dale" trilogies a lot. As for the "Transitions" and the new books I will definitely read them some day, but not at the moment.
I read all the Malus Darkblade novels and I enjoyed them a lot too. Throughout these novels I have to say that I grew quite fond of Malus ;)

Benjamin said...

I have read and loved all of the Drizzt books, to include the Transitions series and the Neverwinter series. I enjoyed seeing Drizzt begin to walk a darker path. I felt elation as I watched him begin to give into the Hunter. I believe that Drizzt's time for being a high morally grounded ranger has passed.The morose and despair of the realm begin to wear on his soul, and he lets the darkness in. It is not a return to his heritage as a dark elf. I believe it is however a good step forward from where he was during his first hundred years on the surface.