Monday, August 8, 2011

Cover art - "Antiphon" by Ken Scholes (French edition)

The list of nominees for 2011 World Fantasy Awards contains a few very pleasant surprises for me, one of them being the nomination of Stéphane Marsan and Alain Névant from the French publisher Bragelonne for the Professional Special Award. I am very familiar with the work of Bragelonne, mainly because my love for cover artwork and it is one of the fields where the efforts of Bragelonne are truly exceptional. Some of my favorites cover artworks come from Bragelonne and one that immediately comes to mind is Marc Simonetti’s beautiful cover for Ken Scholes“Lamentation”. Bragelonne continued to collaborate with the talented Marc Simonetti for the second novel in Ken Scholes“Psalms of Isaak” series, “Canticle”, as well as for the third one, “Antiphon”, due to be released in France on 26th of August. Marc Simonetti made another wonderful cover, although the figure appearing on the “Antiphon” cover artwork isn’t very attractive for me. However, the scene and the general sense of the artwork are at a high level, as is the work of Marc Simonetti usually. Looking over this series of covers and considering the pleasant presence of Bragelonne on the list of World Fantasy Awards nominees I do hope that someday I will see the name of Marc Simonetti on the same list too and why not, on the winners list as well.

1 comment:

Cursed Armada said...

Keep hearing about this Ken Scholes character... Might have to give in and pick this series up... I'm just hesitant because of the Sci-Fi elements...