Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Here comes 2013

A new year has started and hopes and dreams, old or new, get analyzed, reconsidered and enhanced. For the past two years my reading and blogging took a step back, but that was only naturally with the birth of my son. My only regret with the reassessing of these two is that I was not able to highlight some of wonderful titles I read in the past two years with a proper review. Sarah Pinborough’s “Dog-Faced Gods”, Gary McMahon’s “Thomas Usher” and Daniel Abraham’s “Long Price Quartet” are the series that impressed me the most, but for which I failed to show my full appreciation. I am hopeful though that 2013 would offer me the opportunity to catch up with my readings and blogging. It will not be a top priority, that ship has sailed for good, but a bit more focused than it was lately. Also for this year again I will not set many reading goals, but since the one of 2012 was successfully fulfilled I will repeat it. Not because it was accomplished, but because it was an excellent way to discover some amazing short fiction and new interesting writers. Therefore, for 2013 my reading resolution is once again to read at least 365 short stories. As for the titles I am looking forward to read, I have a few that I’ll make certain not to miss. And for the rest I’ll work from here, because after all, I am still not sure how much reading time I would have at my disposal.

“The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All” by Laird Barron

“Who is Killing the Great Capes of Heropa?” by Andrez Bergen

“The City” by Stella Gemmell

“NOS4R2” by Joe Hill

“The Swords of Good Men” by Snorri Kristjansson

“The Reading Lessons” by Carole Lanham

“Conversation of Shadows” by Yoon Ha Lee

“Path of Needles” by Alison Littlewood

“The Best of All Possible Worlds” by Karen Lord

“Nightsiders”, “The End” & “The Bones of You” by Gary McMahon

“Mayhem”, “Poison”, “Charm” & “Beauty” by Sarah Pinborough

“Blood Oranges” by Kathleen Tierney

Happy New Year! May 2013 bring you only joy!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks, Mihai!

runescape accounts for sale said...

Your pictures are so interesting, plz keep going and I am looking forward to your next post.

Mihai A. said...

Andrez, it is my pleasure. :)

ediFanoB said...

Belated Happy New Year!

I must say the most interesting book for me from your list is “The City” by Stella Gemmell.
I read the book description on GOODREADS. The hardcover stand for 528 pages.

Mihai A. said...

Michael, Happy New Year!
I have some fantasy series to catch up with, so there was no point in putting their 2nd or 3rd novel there. But in the last years the fantasy and horror were balanced in my readings :)