The Australian Horror Writers Association (AHWA) has announced the nominations for the 2009 Australian Shadows Award. The Australian Shadows is an annual award recognizing the works in horror, dark fantasy and paranormal fiction written or edited by an Australian. From 2009 the award has three categories: Long Fiction (novels, novellas and single-author collection), Short Fiction (short stories) and Edited Publications (anthologies and horror magazine issues). The judges for this year's awards were Craig Bezant, Stephanie Gunn, and Chuck McKenzie and the winners will be determined by guest judges Bill Congreve (editor of the Year's Best Australian SF & Fantasy series), James Doig (editor of Australian Gothic), and Martin Livings (author of Carnies). The winners will be announced on April 5th.
- "A Book of Endings" by Deborah Biancotti (Twelfth Planet Press)
- "Red Queen" by H. M. Brown (Penguin Australia)
- "Wives" by Paul Haines ("X6", Coeur de Lion Publishing)
- "The Dead Path" by Stephen M. Irwin (Hachette Australia)
- "Slights" by Kaaron Warren (Angry Robot)
- "Six Suicides" by Deborah Biancotti (A Book of Endings)
- "The Emancipated Dance" by Felicity Dowker (Midnight Echo #2)
- "Busking" by Jason Fischer (Midnight Echo #3)
- "The Message" by Andrew J. McKiernan (Midnight Echo #2)
- "The Gaze Dogs of Nine Waterfalls" by Kaaron Warren (Exotic Gothic 3)
- "Grants Pass" edited by Jennifer Brozek & Amanda Pillar (Morrigan Books)
- "Festive Fear" edited by Stephen Clark (Tasmaniac Publications)
- "Aurealis #42" edited by Stuart Mayne (Chimaera Publications)
Congratulations and good luck to all!