Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Cover art - "The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 21" edited by Stephen Jones

“The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror” is one of my favorite collections of short stories and although I discovered it long after its initial release I collected all the yearly volumes I could find. Stephen Jones makes some excellent choices for these anthologies and I always enjoyed a lot the short stories collected in “The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror”. This year the collection reaches its 21st volume, with the edition which Constable & Robinson will release on October 28th and once again the anthology’s cover benefits from the artwork of the very talented Vincent Chong. The artwork of Vincent Chong makes this edition look great (not that I need another reason for purchasing this collection), with an atmospheric, disturbing and haunting image, as Vincent used us with in the past.

3 comments:

TankSpill said...

Would this be a good recommendation for you to get started in reading some horror? I've always been intrigued by the genre, but have never really ventured too far into it other than some Stephen King.

Rabid Fox said...

The table of contents suggest this could be a good intro for horror genre neophytes. Short stories work well in getting your toes wet in a genre, at least I have found.

A few other horror anthologies worth looking up are: American Gothic edited by Joyce Carol Oates, October Dreams edited by Richard Chizmar, The Best Horror of the Year Vols. 1 & 2 edited by Ellen Datlow.

Thanks for the heads up, Mihai. I'll have to add this to the wish list.

Mihai A. said...

It makes an excellent starting point for the readers less familiar with the horror genre. Stephen Jones is an excellent editor and this anthology gathers some of the best short stories of the genre published on 2009. I could find a few new authors I was unfamiliar with through this series of anthologies :)

Rabid Fox, I have this and Ellen Datlow's "The Best Horror of the Year 1 & 2" on my next shopping list :)