Friday, June 4, 2010

Wish list - "The House of the Discarded Dreams" by Ekaterina Sedia

Ekaterina Sedia is one the new and strong voices of fantasy literature and one of my favorite writers. Ekaterina Sedia published many short stories and three novels so far, two of them, “The Secret History of Moscow” and “The Alchemy of Stone”, reviewed here on my blog. I enjoyed these two novels a lot and both of them left traces in my mind long after I finished reading them. I also had the pleasure to interview Ekaterina Sedia and that is a wonderful and interesting experience for me. This year we will have the chance to read a new novel by Ekaterina Sedia, “The House of the Discarded Dreams”, which sounds to be very interesting and to follow the innovative and imaginative path opened by the author’s previous novels. For now we have the synopsis and a blurb posted on Ekaterina Sedia’s blog to keep us company until Prime Books will release the novel in November and we will be able to read “The House of the Discarded Dreams”:

Vimbai moves into a dilapidated house in the dunes, trying to escape her embarrassing immigrant mother... and discovers that one of her new roommates has a pocket universe instead of hair, there is a psychic energy baby living in the telephone wires, and her dead Zimbabwean grandmother is doing dishes in the kitchen.
When the house gets lost at sea and creatures of African urban legends all but take it over, Vimbai has to turn to horseshoe crabs in the ocean, to ask for their help in getting home to New Jersey.

"The House of Discarded Dreams is a moody feast of the fantastic, dreamy, surreal, all rendered in visually poetic prose that reminded me of Hayao Miyazaki films. Oh, and that guy with the crazy hair was awesome! Terrific stuff. Just the right fusion of thematic depth and unbridled creativity that I’m always looking for, but rarely find."
- David Anthony Durham, author of the Acacia Series

2 comments:

Rabid Fox said...

Man, that sounds like it right out there in left field. I'm still on the lookout for Alchemy of Stone, but this one could be worth putting on the wish list too.

Mihai A. said...

"The Alchemy of Stone" is a wonderful book, I hope you'll find it and enjoy reading it. "The House of the Discarded Dreams" is close to my top of wish list :D