Thursday, January 19, 2012

Cover art - "School's Out Forever" by Scott K. Andrews

I have many soft spots when it comes to my readings and one of the major ones is post-apocalyptic literature. It is one of a few genres or sub-genres that I devour with every occasion I get. And one of the constant sources of nourishment when it comes to post-apocalyptic fiction is Abaddon Books’ series of novels in the Afterblight Chronicles. One of the titles that I enjoyed, although for different reasons than the heavy pieces of this sub-genre, is Scott Andrews“School’s Out”. Despite that I didn’t get the chance to read the next two Scott Andrews’ contributions in the Afterblight Chronicles, “Operation Motherland” and “Children’s Crusade”, “School’s Out” still lingers in the back of my mind.

Well, I will have the chance soon to catch up with these novels, because Abaddon Books will release and omnibus edition of Scott Andrews’ works on September 2012. As I said “School’s Out” wasn’t exactly a match for other post-apocalyptic novels and short stories I read, but I admit once again that I enjoyed it and given the chance I will read it one more time with pleasure. This is the main reason for my interest in the upcoming omnibus, “School’s Out Forever”. Another such reason, well, is this amazing cover. I fell in love with it the instant I saw it. It fits Scott Andrews’ work like a glove. The minimal color scheme, the props and background work perfectly for me and I am convinced that this omnibus couldn’t have had a better cover. Responsible for this beauty is Luke Preece, an artist who works for Rebellion Developments and who is found guilty of creating other very interesting covers for Abaddon Books and Solaris Books. Still, I found the cover for Scott Andrews“School’s Out Forever” to be Luke Preece’s best so far and it gives me another reason for picking this omnibus up and enjoying it while listening to one of my absolute favorite singers, Alice Cooper, with the song that immediately comes to mind right now and entitled, how else, “School’s Out”.

2 comments:

Bibliotropic said...

I like the very bleak stark look to the cover art. Very fitting for a post-apocalyptic setting!

Mihai A. said...

Indeed is quite bleak, but that is also one of the reasons why I love this cover so much :)