Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Pile o' Shame

I saw this article last week on A Dribble of Ink but being so short of the time I will post my list only today.




Because of all the great reviews and all the fans around the world I bought the most books of the serie "Malazan Book of the Fallen". But to my shame I didn't start to read it and when I look in my library I tend to pass it by. That is because I'm thinking of the other series I started, George R.R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" and Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time", and I didn't finished them yet. I think that I want to start this one when I will have all the books in the serie and to read all of them. But maybe I will started anyway.





First fantasy book I read was "Lord of the Rings" by J.R.R. Tolkien and being so enthusiast when I finished it I looked for other fantasy books. So I have bought "The Silmarillion" and since then didn't touch it again. I wanted to read it but I prefered to read other fantasy works and when I remembered about Mr. Tolkien's works I read "The Hobbit", "Roverandom", "The Book of Lost Tales" or to read again "Lord of the Rings". Unfortunately "The Silmarillion" is still waiting.







I am a huge fan of Stephen King. I have almost all of his books, but every time I look at "The Dark Tower" serie I leave it where it is. I don't know why, it's hard to explain, because when I see Mr. King's books not only I buy them, but immediately start to read them. "The Dark Tower" is another story and it may be because of "The Talisman" and the fact that I enjoyed this duology so much. I really do not know.







But the hope still exists, and in time I'm certain that this list will change, this books will be read and other great titles will wait their turn.

4 comments:

Harry Markov said...

For Number 1: I don't like series that much, since they are always a huge commitment and the length of the books is draining me fast. I have seen these books translated in Bulgarian and well "The Wheel of Time" is in Englis, but around 20 bucks for a book. That is a no, no.

Number 2: That is superb mythology and worldbuilding. I really hate how slow it drags and how many names Tolkien put in there. I swear one person has just about enough names to give you a migrane, but god the book si worth reading.

Number 3: I hate the Old West and well I think the story is there, so I think I will pass on that one, but I love Stephen King, not that I read anything substantial. Just "On Writing" and now "Carrie"

Mihai A. said...

I love series and epic fantasy is one of my favourites, but I like reading stand-alone novels too.

Jen said...

OMG. If you like King, you must read the Dark Tower. I LOVE these books. I go a little mental when I hear about them, as you can see. I think it's one of the best series there are. I already 'read' them twice (once on paper, once on audiobook) and I think these are the first two of many reads.

Really. Just try it.

(Also, personal selfish reason: I want more people in Romania I can talk to about them! I only know 2 or 3 people who've read the series so far.)

Mihai A. said...

I certainly have to find time to read them :)