Thursday, January 6, 2011

Cover art - "City of Ruin" by Mark Charan Newton

At the end of 2010 Mark Charan Newton posted the cover artwork for the US edition of his novel, “City of Ruin”, and I have to admit that I quite like the look of it. I also have to admit that I like this cover artwork a bit more than the one of the UK hardcover edition of “City of Ruin”. This cover looks livelier, concentrating itself more on the scenery than on the character, which is a welcomed change, at least for me. “City of Ruin” was one of the novels I enjoyed a lot last year and knowing the outcome of the story I can say that the color scheme of the cover is very appropriate. I also like that the US publisher kept the same line with the cover artwork of the first novel in Mark Charan Newton’s series, “Legends of the Red Sun”, concentrating more on the scenery. However, the lettering is something that I do not like at all, the title taking too much from the scene and I see it more as an impediment than anything else. Otherwise it is an interesting cover.

3 comments:

Jamie Gibbs said...

It's a hell of a lot better than the UK version. Why do they taunt me so with awesome covers?!

The Fantasizer said...

No comparison, this one is soooo much better!

Mihai A. said...

Indeed this one is better :)