Monday, January 6, 2014

Here is to an amazing 2014!

A new year has started, with wishes anew and high hopes and I find myself once again unwilling to set many reading resolutions for the year ahead. The last couple of years I kept those book related goals to a minimum and it proved efficient. So, for 2014 I hope to enjoy reading as much as I always did and catch up with some of the older titles that are still waiting on my bookshelves. I also want to repeat the reading resolution I set and achieved in 2012, to read 365 short stories, one for every day of the year. I surpassed that goal in 2012, but I don’t want to change the wonderful experience I had and have with the short stories into a burden, therefore I’ll keep only 365 short stories as a target for this year, if it happens to be more it would be a welcomed bonus. As I said I would love to catch up with some of the older titles I failed to read so far, but there are still several books released this year I am eagerly awaiting to read and I made a list you can find at the end of the post. I have some other ideas and wishes, but since my schedule proved to be erratic lately I’ll not push it, I’ll just hope that all of them would come to pass. I hope we’ll all have a memorable 2014!

“The Widow’s House” by Daniel Abraham

“Depth Charging Ice Planet Goth” by Andrez Bergen

“The Girl with All the Gifts” by M.R. Carey

“The House of War and Witness” by Linda, Louise and Mike Carey

“Dark Father” by James Cooper

“Fearful Symmetries” edited by Ellen Datlow

“We Will All Go Down Together” by Gemma Files

“Baggage” by Lisa L. Hannett & Angela Slatter

“The Leopard” by K.V. Johansen

“The Reading Lessons” by Carole Lanham

“Cleopatra’s Needle” by Carole Lanham

“The Unquiet House” by Alison Littlewood

“Reaping the Dark” by Gary McMahon

“Academic Exercises” by K.J. Parker

“Murder” by Sarah Pinborough

“Veil of the Deserters” by Jeff Salyards

10 comments:

Bibliotropic said...

"The Girl with All the Gifts" is one that I'm really looking forward to reading. Ditto "Veil of the Deserters." So many good books coming out this year!

Carole said...

I love your list! Lots of good things to look forward to. Thanks for including a couple of my books on it :) Nor surprisingly, I'm looking forward to HOLLOW CITY, the follow up to Ransom Riggs MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN. Happy reading to all!

Cursed Armada said...

“Academic Exercises” by K.J. Parker sounds like a must... Awesome cover too!

Mihai A. said...

Bibliotropic, indeed many good books are out this year, but then again each year brings its haul of good books. And I am sad I cannot keep pace with all of them. :)

Carole, it is my pleasure. Your books look very good, I cannot wait to read them. And indeed "Hollow City" is a very interesting one. :)

Scott, "Academic Exercises" looks awesome, I would love a copy of it. And the cover looks great too, but then again Vincent Chong used me with such beauties. :)

ediFanoB said...

"Academic Excecises" sounds great but I'm afraid it will be too expensive for me.

I can't wait to read "Murder" by Sarah Pinborough after the excellent "Mayhem".

Mihai A. said...

Yes, "Mayhem" was excellent and "Murder" promises to be too. :)

Carl V. Anderson said...

It is crazy how many books are already being showcased that will come out this year. My theoretical book purchase pile is growing larger than my actual book pile...which is huge!

It is exciting though and I am already enjoying how 2014 is unfolding.

Mihai A. said...

Carl, I am fully sympathetic. I have a wish list at least twice as big as the reading list and when another year starts the wish list grows even more. But I have decided to enjoy the 2014 reading year no matter how many of the new books I manage to read. And I wish to catch up with some of the older ones. So far, I am doing quite well :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the inclusion, Mihai - an honour amidst all these cool goodies! ;)

Mihai A. said...

I am looking forward to your novel, Andrez. :)