Friday, January 8, 2010

Cover art, international edition - "Mistborn" trilogy by Brandon Sanderson (German edition)

Among this year’s resolutions I said that I would like to make more interviews with authors and artists, but also that I have a few ideas for some new posts. One of these ideas is about the cover artworks outside the UK and US market. I know that this is not exactly new and that I showed cased cover illustrations from European publishers last year when I got the chance, but I was thinking to give a bit more attention to a cover art post in an international edition. I am a great admirer of excellent cover artwork and that is what I want to show, beautiful illustrations of book covers, without exaggerating of course or otherwise I would become boring :). To start these type of posts I went for the German editions of Brandon Sanderson’s Mistborn trilogy novels. The German editions are published by Heyne with the second novel “The Well of Ascension” (Krieger des Feuers) released this month and “The Hero of Ages” (Herrscher des Lichts) due to be released in May. I really like that these covers follow the same design and that the central illustrations is quite simple, but effective. They are not giving away much from the illustrations details but they would certainly make me to pick the books up if I see them on a bookstore shelf.

6 comments:

Valashain said...

Pity that the illustrations don't have anything to do with the content of the book. I see they've also been creative with the titles of the last two.

Brenda said...

Those are beautiful covers!

Adele said...

gorgeous covers though.

Mihai A. said...

Val, I didn't read this series yet so I can't say anything in that direction. But they are quite different from the US cover artworks :)

Brenda & Adele, I think so too :)

ediFanoB said...

The series is awesome and I highly recommend it. Stunning characters, great magic system and a intriguing story.

I live in Germany and it always put a smile on my face when I see covers of German editions on blogs from for me foreign countries. I mostly read UK and US editions. So I normally don't have a look at German editions of books.

Mihai A. said...

Michael, I will sure have to explore the series. I read in a vast majority books in English too, but I still like to look over the Romanian editions. Especially for the cover art ;)