Saturday, January 16, 2010

International cover art - "Furies of Calderon" by Jim Butcher (German edition)

With many character focused cover illustrations lately and with quite a few hooded characters, let’s see such a cover outside the English language publishing market. Here is the cover artwork for the German edition of Jim Butcher’s “Furies of Calderon”(Die Elementare von Calderon), the first novel in the Codex Alera series, and published last year by Blanvalet. I have to say that I really like this cover, made by Chris Rawlins if I am not mistaken, and it is one that appeals greatly to me. I like the central figure, because it is not an overly detailed character and it has a certain mystery surrounding it. Or maybe because it reminds me of Robin Hood, and that is a character I love from childhood. The color tones are pleasant and add to the atmosphere imposed by the cover. But above all I really like the work on the title (although it is a bit too big), the coat of arms style is an excellent choice and it will make me pick the book up for further information just for this simple fact.

2 comments:

E.J. Stevens said...

Although I like the US covers this is just gorgeous! I look forward to seeing all of the German covers for the series.

Mihai A. said...

E.J., I like a lot the UK cover artworks too, but this one is really good as well :)