Monday, May 31, 2010

2010 Compton Crook Award

China Miéville’s “The City & The City” is one of the 2009 best novels and this fact is seen on the recognition and the awards it gathers. Another such novel seems to be Paolo Bacigalupi’s “The Windup Girl” which gathers appreciations as well, among them a Nebula Award for the 2009 Best Novel and a nomination for the Hugo Award. But these are not the only ones, because last week the Paolo Bacigalupi’s debut novel, “The Windup Girl”, was rewarded with The Compton Crook Award (thank you Cititor SF for the information). The Compton Crook Award is presented to the best first novel of the year in the Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror genres by the members of the Baltimore Science Fiction Society.
I have “The Windup Girl” on my shopping list for some time, but I always left it out of it when I ordered new books. I believe though that it is time for me to see how the Paolo Bacigalupi’s debut novel is and finally buy a copy of the book. Until then, I wish to congratulate the author for the Compton Crook Award!

2 comments:

Tia Nevitt said...

I really, really need to read this novel!

Mihai A. said...

Tia, I really need to read it too. It will be the next book I buy :)