Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Fantasy Art - Marek Hlavaty

© The artwork presented on this post is used with the permission of its author. All the artwork is copyrighted. Please do not use the images without the permission of the artist or owner.

Marek Hlavaty is a Slovak artist who currently resides in Bratislava. He graduated a classic art school and is familiar with the traditional techniques of drawing, but Marek Hlavaty is specialized in modeling and texturing in 3d art. Marek has worked from 1999 until 2005 with different companies in modeling and texturing and from 2005 works as freelance artist making illustrations, in game and animation backgrounds, covers and visualizations.

Interview - Marek Hlavaty

Mihai (Dark Wolf): Marek thank you very much for this interview.
How did you start to draw? How did you become interested in art?
Marek Hlavaty: I’ve started when I was kid and been bored in school. Later I’ve discovered scifi literature and I was fascinated by covers of books.

Mihai (Dark Wolf): Through your studies and development as an artist which one do you consider to be the most influential figure on your style and art?
Marek Hlavaty: There were many artists but Craig Mullins was probably most inspirational because he does digital art which looks like oilpaintings and not digital at all. And I like his way.

Mihai (Dark Wolf): Who are your favorite artists? What art movement do you enjoy the most?
Marek Hlavaty: I like popart, art deco, art noveau, renneisance style, romanesque style and various native arts.

M(DW): Do you consider that an artist can develop his talent better following a specialized school? Do you consider that a same grade of development can be achieved through self teaching?
MH: I’m mostly autodidact so it is possible I think. If you think I’m good artist of course :)

M(DW): Your works seem focused on the fantasy and sci-fi genres. Are these your favorite themes? Do you enjoy working in these themes?
MH: Yes, I like depicting fictional themes and worlds. I like pictures which can draw your imagination to other universes.

M(DW): Also many historical elements are present in your works. Do you enjoy working on the historical theme more?
MH: It’s probably because of fantasy clichés. I don’t focus on historical themes.

M(DW): I’ve noticed a few pieces which mix the historical elements with the fantasy ones. Is this a personal approach on your works? Do you enjoy bringing new elements in the established themes?
MH: Sometimes yes :)

M(DW): Speaking of new elements, do you try to make a personal imprint on your works? Do you want for your works to be easily recognizable as yours?
MH: Well, we are not machines so after some time every artist develops his own style and so did I. I like loose brushstrokes and painterly style and hate precise lines and detailing so maybe it is recognizable.

M(DW): You made many book cover illustrations. What involves the process of making a cover art? How much different is from the usual work on an art piece?
MH: Difference is that I have to read part of book and follow some ideas of author. Sometimes it’s not very easy and sometimes the reading of some books is really annoying :)

M(DW): Which cover did you enjoy the most to illustrate? Is there a novel for which you would like to illustrate the cover or an author with who you would like to work?
MH: Sorry but I have no favourite writer to make covers for him.

M(DW): Your working experience also includes projects of computer games. How was the work on computer games? How different is the work on a computer game than that on a book cover illustrations?
MH: Well, years ago computer games was my hobby, after working in games industry it is not :). I don’t play games. From hobby to job and that’s something completely else.

M(DW): From all the projects you have worked on, which one do you consider to give the most freedom of work and why?
MH: My personal project I’m working on right now and it’s obvious why :)

M(DW): What aspects of your skills and technique would you like to develop and improve further on?
MH: I’m not very good in painting characters and I should pay more attention to details I think.

M(DW): At what are you working in the present? What future projects do you have?
MH: I’m working on my own online-browser strategy/RPG game right now. It’s fun to do some game when you are your own boss :)

Thank you very much for your time and answers.

For more information about Marek Hlavaty and for a comprehensive portfolio please visit his website, prasart.com.

© The artwork presented on this post is used with the permission of its author. All the artwork is copyrighted. Please do not use the images without the permission of the artist or owner.

5 comments:

Errant Knave said...

What a great interview. And talk about some fantastic art! Thanks for bringing Hlavaty to my attention.

Maria said...

Very high-tech, futuristic feel to them.

Mihai A. said...

Errant, thank you very much. I am glad you like Marek's works :)

Maria, Marek has a very interesting approach on his works :)

Barbara Martin said...

The fourth picture gave me a good sense of vertigo from the sense of height from the bridge. That's great painting.

Mihai A. said...

Barbara, I like that one quite a lot too :)