Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Cover art - "The Heroes" by Joe Abercrombie

The Gollancz team who designed the cover of Joe Abercrombie’s “Best Served Cold”, composed by Didier Graffet and Dave Senior (illustration) and Laura Brett (Art Direction), was rewarded this summer with the Ravenheart Award for Best Fantasy Cover Art. The same team, coordinated by Gillian Redfearn, works on the cover design of the next Joe Abercrombie’s novel, “The Heroes”, and on the author’s blog I could find the first rough version of that cover. I love maps and once again Dave Senior designed a wonderful map for this cover. I love medieval weapons too and Didier Graffet keeps his work at the highest level, as he used us with the cover of “Best Served Cold”, but also with the covers he made for the French editions of many fantasy novels. I love this cover, as I loved all the UK covers made for Joe Abercrombie’s novels, and although they are similar in design, they are very attractive. I just hope the publisher won’t overdo this type of cover in the future, though.

2 comments:

Barbara Martin said...

I really like this cover. I'm surprised that other publishers don't see the need to provide better covers to some of the books they do publish. Certainly it would help sales.

Mihai A. said...

Yes, that can be a problem. I really like the work made by the French publishers, they do treat this aspect with great care. And I believe that the sales might grow with the help of an excellent cover :)