Thursday, December 3, 2009

Cover art - "The Dragon Reborn" by Robert Jordan

As you know and as I mentioned in a previous post Tor is releasing Robert Jordan’s “The Wheel of Time” novels in ebook format and for these editions they commissioned 14 artists to create new covers for the series. After the first two novels with covers illustrated by David Grove and Kekai Kotaki, Irene Gallo reveals on her blog the cover for the third novel, “The Dragon Reborn”, illustrated by the great artist Donato Giancola. Once again I wonder if someday I will see these wonderful covers on physical copies of the novels, because I would certainly like to have them. I am also eagerly looking forward to see the cover for the next novel, “The Shadow Rising”, which will be illustrated by Sam Weber.

3 comments:

Errant Knave said...

As good as this cover is (and it is very good), I can't help but feel that it lacks pizazz. It might be the best depiction of Rand to date, but it's such a quiet moment for a book that a) doesn't feature Rand a whole lot, and b) has a lot of excitement. I like this cover because it shows a young man who is at some sort of emotional crossroads, but I guess I would have preferred a little more fanfare.

Errant Knave said...

Re: fanfare. This does not mean that I endorse D.K. Sweet's Rand with a puffy, off-the-shoulder jacket, flanked by Rambo Perrin in cutoff sleeves.

Mihai A. said...

It is true, but I love the work that Donato Giancola did for this cover. And maybe this is the silence before the storm.
I never thought of that cover as Rambo Perrin, but you gave a new meaning for that cover :D