Friday, December 18, 2009

The David Gemmell Award wants you!

Last year a new award for the Fantasy genre was founded, The David Gemmell Legend Award, and as I've seen so far I believe that it was received with interest and excitement. The first winner, announced this year, for the best Fantasy novel of 2008 is Andrzej Sapkowski for his novel in the Geralt saga, “Blood of Elves” (the one I voted for and that I reviewed on my blog). I find the award even more interesting because its mission statements appeal to me greatly:
- raise public awareness of the Fantasy genre
- celebrate the history and cultural importance of Fantasy literature
- appreciate & reward excellence in the field
- commemorate the legacy of David Andrew Gemmell and his contribution to the Fantasy genre
and because the readers play an important part in choosing the nominees and the winner of the David Gemmell Award.
As I mentioned on my blog earlier this autumn from this second edition the David Gemmell Award has two new categories, “The Morningstar Award for Best Newcomer” and “The Ravenheart Award for Best Fantasy Cover Art” (I love the introduction of this one). So with these two new categories and with the approach of the next year there is a lot of work made at the awards' website, especially around the nominations for the three awards. And among the excellent work they do, the award administrators have a new objective for this year too, reaching a number of 1000 members until the end of the year. So, if you want to be a member and play a part in the nomination process, discus the nominated titles and authors and cast your vote for your favorites you can sign up at The David Gemmell Award website. I am happy to say that I am a member since the last year and I am having a pleasant time there. If you sign up I hope to see you there too :)

4 comments:

Maria said...

Just stopping by to say Merry Christmas and happy holidays! You're on my blog feed now so I see your posts, but don't actually stop by the blog as much.

Happy New Year and with it, many good books!

Maria

Mihai A. said...

Maria, I understand you, I have many blogs on my feeds and because of that I don't get the chance to visit them that much :)
Thank you very much. I hope you'll have a Christmas as you wish to be and a year full of joy and achievements.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! :D

ediFanoB said...

Mihai,

you post as often about THE DAVID GEMMELL ARWARD as I do.

I find it important to spread word about DGLA.

Mihai A. said...

Michael, I love the David Gemmell Award :)